Monday, February 2, 2015

PART 1 Considering buying a Miniature Schnauzer dog? Here's why you should.

PART 1- INTRODUCTION
If you're in the market for a new puppy and the Schnauzer breed is one you have considered as a possible choice, this blog post is here to help you! I am going to tell you several reasons why Schnauzers make great pets. I love animals! LOVE them. Over the years I have adopted many stray dogs and cats that people have shamelessly dropped off in my yard like a piece of trash. I cannot refuse a homeless animal. I have to feed them and show them that not all humans are cruel or abusive so if they stick around after that, they are mine to keep.

I have owned several pure bred dogs and cats as well. One breed, that I cannot stay away from, is the miniature Schnauzer. I keep them until they pass away from natural causes such as old age. I have owned 7 of them. I used to buy them in pairs of two but I've had to give a few away because I was moving to a place that did not allow dogs, period. Out of the 7 Schnauzers I have owned, their personalities really aren't that much different. But here's why buying a miniature or full size Schnauzer will be the best dog buying decision you'll ever make!

My baby boy. I call him Bubby Shay!

COST & FINDING A SCHNAUZER
Schnauzers cost anywhere from $800 to $1,000 in a pet store. Not necessary at all. The dogs in pet stores were bred in puppy farms, in abusive and neglectful conditions. Why do you think every puppy in a pet store is so eager to get your attention? TAKE ME HOME, PLEASE! Research "puppy mills" on Google. You'll be disgusted by what you read. To find a Schnauzer, look in the classifieds for your local newspapers and local trade n sell papers. If no one has a listing for them within a decent amount of time, place an ad in the paper that you are looking to buy one from a reputable no-cruelty breeder that is AKC compliant. Someone will respond.

AKC means that the dogs have been registered with the American Kennel Club and have been evaluated by a member of that club and certified to be a 100% pure blooded Schnauzer breed. AKC registered dogs also come with birth certificates and official ownership papers for you in case someone ever tries to steal your dog or claim it is their dog, those papers will prove otherwise. A reputable breeder will only charge you $250 to $400 max for a miniature Schnauzer, and they are much healthier than the puppy mill bred dogs.



PERSONALITY & DEMEANOR
Schnauzers are by far one of the most lovable and sweet dog breeds on the planet. Not just saying this because I own one. I've owned several breeds in my life so I am going by my personal experiences with them, but also what I've heard from other Schnauzer owners I've surveyed. I have yet to meet a Schnauzer that does not like to be held, cuddled, hugged, pet. And belly rubbins? Oh my, how they LOVE getting their belly rubbed! If you sit on the floor at their eye level, they'll come running up to you and roll over right in your lap and they will stay there until you make them move. They could literally cuddle with you all day.

I have kids, is a miniature Schnauzer still a good choice for my family? Yes. My daughter, as well as my other relative's children have pestered the snot out of my last few Schnauzers. Not intentionally, but you know how toddlers can be. They pet too rough, they pull tails and ears, because they don't know any better. Not once, have I ever had a Schnauzer snap or growl at one of those kids. A friend can come over and her child, whom my dog has never met, can be pesty as hell but what does my dog do? He sits there and takes it, looking at me the whole time like what the heck is this little girl doing to me? HELP. (See photo below, you'll understand what I mean. My daughter wrapped him up.)



JEALOUSY & SIBLING RIVALRY
As for jealousy issues. Two things to remember. These dogs never snap or growl when jealousy strikes them but if you give birth to a baby and your Schnauzer is used to being your #1 up until that point in your life, don't ignore your dog. They don't get mad when a new baby comes, they get worried. They feel like you don't love them anymore because they see how much attention everyone gives that new baby. They will whine and cry for your affection when this happens, literally dancing around with the nervous jitters because they think they are being replaced. If possible, while you are holding or playing with your new baby, have your partner, mother, sister, etc. pet the dog to reassure him that he is still wanted and well loved, but the baby needs you too. When he sees that even though the baby takes up most of your time now, but you still make time to be with him, he'll eventually stop crying when you hold the new baby.

As for having other dogs. If your Schnauzer is the first dog you bought and decide to buy a 2nd dog, Schnauzers are not usually snappy or mean to the other dog but just like I mentioned above with the new baby thing, they need to be reassured that this new dog is NOT their replacement, but their new brother or sister to play with. Whenever I even talk to another dog "Oh, look at the pretty little boy!" My Schnauzer whines like the world is ending, jumps up on my leg, and rubs his cheeks on my pants because he is terrified of being replaced. So jealousy for them is not an issue of fighting for pecking order or status, or trying to scare the other animal away, it's all about making sure you still love them.

Thanks for reading PART 1 of my Schnauzer blog post series.
Here is the link to PART 2: http://mysteriousrosegabs.blogspot.com/2015/02/considering-buying-miniature-schnauzer_2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on Tiger's Blog!